Sunday, March 13, 2011

April, May and June books

For April 9th meeting, we are reading and discussing Elbow Room by Daniel Dennett.  That meeting is already full unless someone drops out.  Earl, Susan, Michael F., Joyce, Bill, Gary, Julie, John R.,Fred

For May 8th meeting, we are reading and discussing  Care of the Soul by Thomas Moore  (recent article in Huffington Post by Moore ).  Right now, we have six people attending.  I'm not sure if we're limiting that meeting to six or to eight.  Earl, Susan, Michael N., April, Sandy, Harry.  We're meeting a Sunday evening at the Cabana Club.

After that I'd like to read Brain-Wise: Studies in Neurophilosophy by Pat Churchland.  The two books mentioned (above) have sparked my interest in neurophilosophy.  So I really really want to read this book next.  I have already read the first few pages and I think it will be an easy and fun read.

Maybe after that ....if people want to read and discuss....we could  ........read and discuss.... Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein.


Putting Care of the Soul on the list arose from a conversation with Earl.  I am really enjoying the book.  I don't think that an atheist (or naturalist) should have a problem with the book.  Perhaps he/she could just substitute the word psyche for the word soul if the word soul gives him/her a problem.

Some other books that I'd like to read:
1.Sarah Bakewell is on philosophy bites this month talking about Montaigne.  I'd like to read one of her books on Montaigne.
2. 'The Pursuit of Unhappiness: The Elusive Psychology of Well-being' by Daniel M. Haybron
3. 'The Wisdom of Crowds' by James Surowiecki
4. 'The Logic of Scientific Discovery' by Karl Popper
5. Capital (Das Kapital) by Karl Marx



No comments:

Post a Comment